Thursday, May 1, 2008

ITZ TIM 2 MUV 2 BIZ 2.O

I've rattled on a few times about the importance of moving your start-up from business 1.0 to business 2.0. In fact, I've even hosted a whole audio-cast on this subject and had a well respected guest speaker that rattled on about it as well. The basic gist is this...run your business like a business and not like a hobby. To do this you need to get some help. This help doesn't have to be in the form of employees. Those may come later. It may come in the form of some good tools.

So, I've decided that I will periodically introduce a tool that I think will benefit my fellow entrepreneurs. My first tool is called GnuCash. Guess what? IT'S FREE!!! Woohoo! Oh, I guess I should explain what it is before getting too excited about it being FREE! Woohoo!

GnuCash is a solid small business accounting application. It is very intuitive, which is perfect for those of us that don't like numbers. IT'S FREE!! Here are a few quick features:
  • Double Entry System - which means it ensures your "books balance"
  • Reporting System - It has customizable reports and graphs for your P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement
  • Multiple Currencies
  • Small Biz Accounting Features - Vendor tracking, invoicing, bill payment, taxes, etc.
  • General Ledger
  • Check Printing
  • The list goes on...

Here's the bad news...we entrepreneurs no longer have an excuse for poorly managed financials.

Did I mention that it is FREE!!!

No comments: